CREATION OF FoCCaL
The group was born out of a real threat
to the Library when the Council proposed major cuts to the service in the summer of 2015. There was a surge of support among ‘Cliftonites’ for the maintenance of the Library which, along with protest in other communities across Bristol, persuaded the then Mayor to cut all Library opening hours be 20% rather than close any.
When this reprieve was won, a small group continued to support the Library in the belief that it was only a reprieve and that the building needed to increase usage and develop an income stream if it is to be viable in the future. In the initial meetings, the lack of a community centre in the village was discussed and the need for one to lessen social isolation and bring the community together.
In October 2015 a public meeting was called to see what the community wanted for the future of The Old School House and how the Library would work for the future. Over 30 people turned up and we had a lively discussion during which suggestions for use were made. We used the following headings:
- Increase Footfall
- Co-location of services
- Increase Income Streams
After the public meeting, Friends of Clifton Centre and Library was formed to promote use of the building during non library hours. From April 2016, library opening hours reduced by another 20% which impacted the use of facilities.
is to create a vibrant centre where the community can meet to celebrate creatively and continue to learn and communicate happily.
Save Clifton Library – Why?
- Clifton Library is one of the most used libraries in the City
- A range of popular exercise classes take place in the upstairs room.
- Previous events hosted by the Friends have been very popular, demonstrating that
there is a need for a place to socialise in the Village.
- Recent support for the petition has shown how much people want to keep the building open.
Save Clifton Library – How?
- Use it! Every time an individual goes through the door, it’s counted and will be used
in the evaluation process undertaken by BCC.
- Book into the exercise classes
- Volunteer with the Friends
- Attend our varied and interesting events which you can read about in this brochure!
*** FoCCaL APPEAL TO OUR CLIFTON VILLAGE COMMUNITY ***
We desperately need new members. Do you have time to offer the occasional hour helping us put out chairs or making tea or putting posters up on lampposts? Or perhaps you fancy designing a poster? Are you wary of joining any committee and making a regular committment but want to do your bit to keep this building for the residents of Clifton Village? Then we need you! Contact us today